The St Andrews Top 10
Good day, Ralph here and a warm welcome back to my blog.
We’re delighted with the news that St Andrews has been voted as the 9th best destination in the UK by TripAdvisor and I’m not at all surprised as there are so many great things to do in our seaside town!
This inspired me to think about the top 10 things to do in St Andrews. These are not listed in any particular order as they are all as exciting as the next.
1. Fish and chips from one of the many delicious Fish & Chip Shops in town, then a walk down to the harbour whilst eating – great to do on a sunny spring day!
2. A visit to St Andrews Castle and Cathedral, climb to the top of St Rule’s Tower where you can enjoy breath- taking views across West Sands beach and across the North Sea. www.historic-scotland.gov.uk
3. A lovely walk and picnic at the spectacular secret gardens of St Andrews – The Botanical Gardens.
4. Dodge a golf ball or two and enjoy the views of the Old Course 17th green while sipping on a pint of Jigger Ale at golf’s most famous 19th hole – The Jigger Inn.
5. Get blown away on West Sands with some Land -Yachting. I can highly recommend Blown Away Land Yachts www.blowawaylandyachts.co.uk
6. Take a walk down the Old Course on Sunday and have your picture taken on the Swilcan Bridge.
7. Have a lovely relaxed evening watching a performance at Scotland’s only Five Star Arts and Theatre Venue, The Byre Theatre. www.byretheatre.com
8. Delve into the history of the University of St Andrews by taking a visit to MUSA, the museum which holds all information and facts on the important role the University has played in the town since the 14th Century. www.st-andrews.ac.uk/musa/MUSA/musa_main.html
9. Take a stroll along the cobbled streets of St Andrews and visit some of the fabulous and quirky gift shops and designer boutiques.
10. Finally, you can’t leave town without trying some of the fabulous ice-cream from one of our famous ice-cream shops, Janetta’s on North Street and Luvians Ice Cream Parlour on Market Street. …in fact why choose? Sample both! There are up to 52 to try from and my favourite is cherry, Yum!
I’d love to hear what you’re favourite things to do in and around St Andrews are so I can tell our guests about your experiences too. Please do get in touch and let me know, just leave a comment on this page and I’ll pick it up from here.
Until next time…. enjoy and speak soon!
Posted: May 12th, 2011 under Local Activities.