Warm Winter Soups to Cheer You Up!
Hi and welcome back to the food & drink blog.
As I type this it is howling a gale outside! It’s day like this that I love nothing more but too make a big batch of soup to warm me up! The autumn and winter seasons are great as there are so many brilliant vegetables to be had. To name only a few of the produce I’ve welcomed this season: pumpkins, quince, parsnips, carrots, beetroots, butternut squash and brussel sprouts are not too far away.
I’m sure you are like me and have that one favourite soup recipe that you will make time and time again. This recipe has probably been passed down to you from your granny and I’m sure it’s guaranteed to perk you up when you’re suffering from the winter blues! Well, today I am going to share my favorite soup recipe with you. I hope you enjoy this yummy parsnip soup as much as I do!
Spiced Parsnip Soup – Serves 4
600g peeled and chopped parsnips
600ml Ham Stock (or vegetable stock)
1. In a heavy based pan melt the butter, add the shallots and garlic and cook until soft.
2. Add the parsnips to the pot, season then sweat until the vegetables start to soften.
3. Pour in the stock and cream then simmer for 20 minutes.
4. Check that the parsnips are cooked through and blend to a smooth consistency.
5. Serve with a crusty roll topped with lots of butter!
You can catch the video of me demonstrating how to make my Spiced Parsnip Soup over on our YouTube page. I would love for you to share your favourite soup recipes or let me know if you have been experimenting with soups to make something a little bit different!